The Metro Home Improvement Plan
The Metro Home Improvement Program is an owner-occupied rehabilitation program designed to assist property owners with “forgivable loan” financing to improve their homes. Nine metro cities entered into a cooperative agreement with the purpose to preserve the existing affordable housing stock in their communities. Those participating cities are Ankeny, Altoona, Clive, Grimes, Johnston, Pleasant Hill, Urbandale, West Des Moines and Windsor Heights.
Who is Eligible for Metro Homes Improvement Program?
- The property to be assisted must be located within Polk County portions of the participating cities.
- The property must be owner-occupied.
- Income limits of the household must fall at below 80% of Area Median Income.
- The property must be a single family residence, condominium or townhouse.
- Proof of homeownership of the applicant must be provided. The property in question must be the homeowner’s primary residence.
- Property taxes and/or mortgage payments must be current and paid-to-date.
Who Does the Rehabilitation Work?
The rehabilitation work is done by the Program’s general contractor, HOME Inc., a non-profit agency from Des Moines.
What are the Financial Implications to the Homeowner?
The work is paid for through funding from the Polk County Housing Trust Fund and the participation cities. The financial assistance from the program is in the form of a forgivable loan. The maximum loan is $12,500 and the minimum loan is $500 per household. The loan will be recorded as a second mortgage to the property, with a term of five years, decreasing proportionately with the passage of time, bearing no interest. The loan only comes due if the homeowner sells the house in the five years following the time of investment.
Program Eligible Activities Include:
- Basic structural repairs for exterior walls, roof and roof structures, foundations, floor joists and ceilings;
- Building systems: electrical, plumbing, heating;
- Weatherization: insulation, windows, siding;
- Handicap accessibility: exterior ramp, bathroom facilities.
The program is administered by the City of West Des Moines. Applications can be submitted to:
4200 Mills Civic Parkway Suite 2E
West Des Moines, IA 50265.
If you have any questions, please contact Christine Gordon at 515-273-0770.
Other Home Assistance Resources
- Iowa Mortgage Help hotline 877.622.4866
- Home, Inc., online at www.homeincdsm.org or call 515.243.1277