10/30/2012 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
The City of Ankeny's Beggar's Night is Tuesday, October 30 from 6 to 8 p.m. For residents who will be distributing goodies, please light up your front door area indicating "beggars" are welcome. Be sure the sidewalk or path to the door is clear of debris or plants that might impair their walking. Please also keep pets inside; this will protect them from being frightened or inadvertently biting a child.
Drivers are urged to use extra caution during this annual event. In fact, children are four times more likely to be hit by a vehicle on Halloween than any other night of the year.
Basic safety tips
- Plan out a route in advance and check it during the daylight for obstacles, such as broken sidewalks, construction, or other obstacles that could trip up trick-or-treaters. Stay in familiar neighborhoods or areas.
- Designate an adult to accompany children at all times and designate a return time.
- Remind children to stop and assure it is safe before crossing the street.
- Encourage kids to walk, not run and to never cut across lawns or driveways.
- Carry a flashlight to allow your child to see and be seen.
- Children should never go into a residence unless the parents know the residents.
- Children should wear light colored costumes or reflective wrist bands to be easily seen in the dark.
- Be sure children wear well-fitting, sturdy shoes and avoid too large boots, princess high-heels or other types of shoes often shown with costumes. Save these types of shoes for costume parties.
- Avoid costumes that drag on the ground. While cute initially, costumes that drag can trip up little feet or get caught on bushes.
- Apply face paint instead of wearing a mask to make sure vision is not obstructed.
- Purchased or handmade costumes should be flame retardant.
- If unable to accompany them, know the area they will be going and provide a cell phone in case of emergencies.
- Parents should examine all items before children consume them and make sure they are all commercially made (vs. homemade or items appearing to be tampered with).
For more information about safety, contact the Ankeny Police Department at 289-5240. Have a safe and happy Halloween!