410 W 1st St
Ankeny, IA 50023-1557
515-965-6409 direct ph.
The Finance Department is committed to providing our customers with the accurate, meaningful and timely financial information necessary for sound fiscal decision making and the safeguarding of City assets.
The department's primary functions include preparing budget documents and reports, preparing and filing required financial reports, and processing accounts payable and accounts receivable including property tax, special assessment, and grant fund receipts. The department manages the investment of City funds, monitors the City’s debt, and maintains the fixed assets records.
Other functions include purchasing, internal auditing, banking relations, managing the City's accounting system and maintaining the financial policies and procedures.
In addition to these functions, the department provides accounting services for the Polk County Aviation Authority and coordinates the independent audit of the City's financial records.
To provide sound financial management, protect the City's financial resources, provide accurate and timely financial reporting, and provide an overall high quality of financial services to the City's departments and citizens
- To make information access easier and more understandable for departments and the public
- To have an accurate, understandable, and productive budget process that allocates City resources to where they are needed most
- To provide the maximum return on available cash with the lowest risk
- To make citywide purchasing secure, simple, and understandable for vendors and departments while protecting the City from liability, fraud, and waste
- To make timely payments to vendors and maintain a good working relationship with vendors